An Identity document is important as it proves your identity in many concerns. The green-bar-coded-Identity-book (ID book) is therefore a legal form of identity when dealing with public and private institutions and is issued to South African citizens or permanent residence permit holders who are 16 years or older.

Applications can be made at any office of the Department of Home Affairs or any South African mission or consulate overseas. Home Affairs takes approximately 2 month to process the application.

Applying for an identity book for the first time

The following documents are required:

Form BI-9, completed in black ink

A certified copy of your birth certificate

2 identical, colour photographs

At Home Affairs your fingerprint will be taken and imprinted on Form DHA-9.

If you are a naturalised citizen or a permanent residence permit holder you must attach the following to your application form – all will be certified by Home Affairs:

your naturalisation certificate and a copy

your permanent residency certificate and a copy

your exemption certificate and a copy

Form BI-1620, which must be completed at a Home Affairs office

Correcting errors in the ID Document – Home Affairs will replace your ID book free of charge

Simply submit the following to any office of the Department of Home Affairs:

Form BI-9 and BI-309 completed with the correct information

Proof or the error, that shows the correct information

2 identical, colour photographs

Re-issuing an ID book

If you are married and want to assume the Surname of your spouse you must submit:

Copy of your marriage certificate, Form BI-9 and pay a required fee

Women who want to apply for a new ID in the name of any or previous surname:

Documentary proof showing that you are entitled to use that surname (i.e. a birth certificate), Form Bi-9 , fee for re-issue

If your ID book has been stolen;

Form BI-9, marriage certificate if you are married, fee for re-issue

Furthermore, in the event of lose, damage or stolen you may request a Temporary Identification Certificate (TIC) (R11) – it takes only about a week to be processed, but expires fairly quickly!

For more information please contact IBN.