Attention to new immigration directive in Kenya and practical implementations.
Mr. Matiangi, who is the current Cabinet Secretary for the Ministry of Interior, issued on 1st of July 2019 new directives regarding the renewal of work permits in Kenya.
Here is what you need to know:
- All renewal for work permit applications must include the Tax compliance certificates (TCC) from the hiring company as well as the individual TCC. Should the application not include the TCC, the foreign immigration department will not accept your application.
- Companies and foreign nationals must comply with the Kenyan tax laws and be up to date with the tax payments to be issued with a TCC.
- If you are a first time applicant only the TCC for the hiring company will be required.
- Work permits will not be issued to foreign nationals already in Kenya. Applicants must be outside the country to apply for the work permit.
- Foreigners wishing to engage in small scale trade will not be issued with a work permit or special passes.
- Any foreigner found to engage in small scale trade is to be deported.
- Special passes renewals are being cancelled and the assignees have been asked to apply for work permit instead. Extension of special passes will be treated more conservatively pending further directives.
Should another directive be issued, we will communicate immediately.