Is a federal parliamentary republic in central-western Europe. It includes 16 constituent states, covers an area of 357,021 square kilometres (137,847 sq mi), and has a largely temperate seasonal climate. With about 82 million inhabitants, Germany is the most populous member state of the European Union. Known for its rich cultural history, Germany has been continuously the home of influential artists, philosophers, musicians, sportspeople and entrepreneurs. It is a global leader in science and technology.

  • Population: 82.1 million (2015)
  • Language: German
  • Time Zone: CET (UTC+1)
  • Dialling Code: +49
  • Currency: Euro (EUR)


You need to apply for a visa in person at the German representation in your country of residence/ home country. A visa can be issued for up to 3 months.

Due to the Schengen Agreement, citizens of Non-Schengen countries can enter the whole Schengen territory with the Schengen Visa. With a Schengen visa you can travel and stay not only in Germany, but all 26 countries that participate in the Schengen Agreement for a period of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. You are not entitled to work on this visa.

A Schengen Visa is a visa for visiting/travelling to and within the Schengen Area. The Schengen Area is comprised of 26 countries that have agreed to allow free movement of their citizens within this area as a single country. Schengen area covers the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

Regarding the purpose of the travel, there are several types of a Schengen visa issued by the designated embassy/consulate. There are 3 types: Uniform Schengen Visas (USV), Limited territorial validity visas (LTV) and National visas.

You can apply for a Business visa if you are travelling to Germany for conferences, meetings or academic research. The Business visa will be issued for up to 90 days. You need to apply in person at the embassy / consulate in your country of origin or residence. Your require the following documentation: company bank statements from the previous three months, invitation letter from the business partner in Germany in English or German, detailed schedule of your business meetings for stays over 30 days as well as a confirmation letter from your health insurance stating coverage for emergency medical or hospitalization with a minimum of 30,000 Euros. Furthermore, you need to provide the consulate with your flight reservation as well as proof of accommodation for your entire stay.

If you would like to do an internship in Germany, you require an offer for an internship and the approval of the Federal Employment Agency (BA). If you have documents proving both, you should apply for a visa to the competent embassy or consulate before travelling to Germany. Your internship may not last more than twelve months and can only be extended in exceptional cases. Some internships do not require the agreement of the Federal Employment Agency. These include internships under EU-funded programmes (Leonardo, Socrates, Erasmus, etc.).

Work visas are available for academics, graduates of German universities as well as for Graduates of vocational training courses.

Academics: If you have a recognised university degree or one which is comparable to a German university degree, you are entitled to a “EU Blue Card” single residence and work permit. In order to obtain the EU Blue Card you need to have an offer of employment in Germany which corresponds to your qualification. Furthermore, you must earn an annual gross salary of at least 49,600 EUR.

Specialists in the fields of mathematics, IT, life sciences, engineering as well as doctors may be able to obtain as well an EU Blue Card if they can prove that they earn the same amount as a comparable German worker. However, the annual gross salary cannot be less than 38,688 EUR per year. If this is the case you would need an additional approval by the BA – Federal Employment Agency.

Graduates of German universities: If you successfully completed your studies at a German university, then you are entitled to take up employment in Germany which must be in line with your studies.

If you couldn’t find a job, there is the possibility to obtain a residence permit while you are seeking an employment. This can be issued for 18 months. You are allowed to take any job during this time frame in order to support yourself.

Graduates of vocational training courses: If you completed a non-academic vocational training outside of Germany, you will be able to take up employment if you meet the following requirements:

  • There is a shortage of skilled workers in your profession.
  • You have received a binding job offer.
  • Your qualification has been recognised as being equivalent to the German qualification.

You can apply for the EU Blue Card if you are a highly skilled worker and an academic. Your foreign university degree must be accepted or must be similar to the German one. If necessary a valuation of ZAB is required. Furthermore, a qualified employment contract needs to be put in place. It must be stipulated clearly that the annual gross salary is at least EUR 49,600 per year. A lower salary is possible if you apply for a work permit in certain sectors, e.g. scientists, mathematicians, architects, planning officers, town planners, traffic managers, designers, engineers, engineer scientists, doctors (not including dentists), as well as academic skilled workers in information and communication technology.

In certain cases, an approval of the Federal Employment Agency is required to obtain the EU BLUE CARD. Attached to the work permit application you need to apply for a residence title.

As soon as you are living in your area of responsibility in Germany, you can receive your EU BLUE CARD from the regional foreign department. You need to make sure to apply for an entry visa to Germany to receive your work permit. The EU Blue Card is a residence permit which, when issued for the first time, is valid for a maximum of four years.

The holder of a EU Blue card is entitled to apply for permanent residence after 33 months. Your required language skill must comply with level B1 of the Common European Reference Framework for Languages (CEFR). If you can prove the above mentioned before the 33 months than you are allowed to obtain permanent residence after 21 months.

Your dependent family can apply for a residence permit if you have a residence permit as an employee or an EU Blue Card for Germany. Furthermore, you need to prove that you have rented accommodation which is large enough for your accompanying family, you need to have sufficient financial means and your spouse needs to be over the age of 18.

As soon as a residence permit is issued to your accompanying family, they are entitled immediately to take up any kind of employment in Germany.

Your family must not speak German e.g. if you are an EU Blue Card holder, you are working in Germany as a highly-qualified worker or a research scientist.

Your children under the age of 16 can accompany you to Germany on a residence permit. For children over the age of 16 special rules apply. Your family needs to apply et the embassy/ consulate in their home country.

We provide a full range of immigration services for Germany. With our professional and trusted network of partners, we have the pulse on policy issues and the practical reality, which governs immigration rules & regulations.

We will first do a consultation, on which visa would be the correct one for you. We advise on the required documentation and compile the complete application on your behalf. We will help you save time gathering the required documents to finalize your application.