The Republic of India is the second most populous country in the world and its economy is the world’s seventh-largest by nominal GDP, is the third-largest country by purchasing power parity and has the third-largest standing army in the world.

In 1991, India became one of the fastest-growing major economies and is considered a newly industrialised country.


A tourist visa is normally issued for a period of 1 to 6 months, for a single entry or maximum double entry.

No, a tourist visa is NOT extendable.

No, a tourist visa can NOT be converted in any other visa in-country.

No, you cannot conduct paid work activities on a business visa. However, you can do a lot on a business visa, such as: explore business opportunities; purchase or sell industrial or commercial products; conduct meetings; recruit manpower; attend trade fairs; provide specialist and technical guidance; conduct in-house training; and more.

No, there is a specific visa for such purpose; it is the “Conference Visa” which is granted for a duration of up to 1 month.

You (and family dependents, if any) would need to apply for an “Entry Visa”, PRIOR to enter the country.

You need to apply for an “Employment Visa. Please note that this type of visa is geared to highly skilled or qualified professionals and applications for such visas are granted on a case per case basis.

The main criteria are:

  • The minimum salary should be USD 25,000 per annum
  • The receiving entity (company in India) must be registered


If you qualify (salary requirements; except for certain professions) then you will have to supply an extensive list of documents.

The main documents would be:

  • Letter of Appointment from the Indian company/ or Copy of the contract signed between two parties explicitly stating annual income of more than USD 25,000 per annum
  • CV of the applicant
  • Documentary proof of the educational qualification
  • Professional expertise certificate (if applicable)
  • Registration certificate of the employing company under the Companies Act / Proof of registration of the firm in the State industries department or the Export Promotion Council
  • No-Criminal record certificate issued by the Police and duly attested by Notary.
  • Return air-ticket or onward ticket if the duration of the employment is not more than six months
  • Copy of your valid passport
  • Proof of residence


The employment visa is usually issued for 1 year; however, this is a discretionary matter and it can be issued to match the duration of the employment contract.

Yes, it is. India has a rather broad understanding of what study visas cover. As long as it is a recognized institution, you can study a variety of ‘non-academic’ subjects such as yoga, Indian classic dance, Indian music and so on.

Yes, you can. Journalist visas are extendable after arrival in India, for representatives of established media organizations. You need to provide a letter of nomination specifying the duration of the assignment and provided you hold a valid PIB accreditation.

Extensions are issued for up to one year at a time. Visa extensions are issued by the FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) in the city where you are situated.

According to the Constitution, you can ask to become an Indian national if you are residing in India and fall in one of the following categories:

  • You were born in India
  • Either of your parents was born in the territory of India
  • You have been an ordinarily resident in the territory of India for a minimum of five years


India does not prohibit same sex union however it does not recognize same-sex union either.