If you want to work in Zambia, you will need a Work Permit, which is an authorization granted to foreign nationals to take up employment in the country.

zambiaA Work Permit will specify the length of time allocated for the specific employment and the exact nature of the work activity.

There are 2 types of work permit in Zambia, a “short-term” work permit and an “employment” (long-term) permit.

It is very important to know which type of permit the applicant will require as it is not possible to change from a short-term work permit to an employment permit in country.

The “short-term work” permit is typically for temporary employment and is issued for up to 3 months. It can be renewed once in country, making the length of time allocated 6 months in total.

The processing time for a “short-term work” permit is approximately 1 to 2 weeks.

The applicant can come in to Zambia on a business permit and apply for a short-term work permit in country.

The “employment” or long-term work permit is issued for up to 24 months; it can easily be renewed/extended by a process called “variation” and by which all that is required are the new company registration documents, a motivation letter and a contract of employment.

The processing time for an “employment” permit is approximately 4 to 6 weeks.

The applicant must be outside Zambia to apply for an employment permit.

Both short-term and long-term (“employment”) work permits can be renewed.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further information or assistance in any related visa and immigration matter.


by Nadia Delport